Book N Tech

Monday, July 15, 2013

First Book Review! (The Moon and More)



I obviously dislike the manliness of this blog. To show my dislike, I will be discussing the novel The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen. It's my first novel this summer (read), and worthy of this blog. Because, honestly, this place needs to be less machine-y and more read-y.

WHICH IS WHY I SOLEMNLY SWEAR TO NEVER ATTACH AN ADD TO ANY OF MY POSTS EAT THAT YOU CO-BROS!

*leaves to make some Mexican hot cocoa, because, I'm Mexican an' stuff*

Okay, well, that took about fifteen minutes and WE GOOD. Mmm, bet you white boys are jelly, huh? (okay, just kidding. To my knowledge, none of my co-bros are actually albino, and we do not discriminate against albinos! Live long, well, and respected.)(I once dated an albino... he was, like, white-white. Could see his--



RIGHT. Book. Blogging. NOW!

So, here's the book synopsis as according to Goodreads.com:

"Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.
Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer."

*nods head to Goodreads* What would I do without them? 

Well, let's begin at the very beginning! 

I love Sarah Dessen, first of all. But this novel--like her last one--didn't appeal very much so to me. I don't know if it's because I'm growing up or because the books weren't as appealing as I hoped they would be. But, I have a few very pure points before diving into this (and if you haven't read the book, I SO URGE YOU to go read it before reading this! But... you can read this if you have no interest in reading the books.)

First, the writing style was good. I did like that--while I wasn't as captivated as I have been by some of her other books, it was still very good. Score: 4/5 

Second, the plot. Most of her other books have good plots--but this one was the perfect summer read in the way that it had no plot. If you are a reader who has to have an incentive at the end, this may not be the read for you. But, if you have a busy life and want an easy, still mature read, this is the books for you! Score: 2/5 for average readers, 5/5 for busy readers. 

Third, characters. I actually had a hard time connecting to the main character, Emaline. But while I couldn't connect, she was amazingly thought-out. Emaline was brilliantly written in the way that she avoided her situations and faced them in the exact way that any teenager would. A high-five to Mrs. Dessen for not being a teenager, but portraying one perfectly! The other characters? Very well done. Though Dessen has over-used some traits, she has managed to make them real and as human as possible--much like people I know! Score: 4/5 

Fourth, conflict. There was, amazingly, a conflict. And while the conflict had a place--there was about half a chapter dedicated to it. No real rising action, and not much meat to it. It was disheartening, and a little sad that there was no better conflict--especially because there was meat for the conflict! I didn't dig it as much as I would have liked to. Score: 1/5 

Fifth, wrap-up. The ending was so short! And while I would have liked to say that all of her endings are short so it was okay, it was about five pages of actual happiness. For the first time in the world, I will say: I'd rather be forced to read Percy and Annabeth fall into Tartarus than read that ending again. I was disappointed in Dessen. Just this once. Score: 1/5 

Finaly Score (for average reader): 14/25 

I hope Dessen's next book will bring her up! :) I really, really love her writing and style, and this review makes me sad--but I'd rather not lie. 

Cheers! 
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+