Book N Tech

Friday, August 23, 2013

Legos: for play or learning

     I recently read a Microsoft Next blog at TechNet about Legos being a play toy or for learning. I think Steve Clayton brings a good point. Now if you are like me, you probably grew up playing with Legos and K'nex.
     Part of the reason I am interested in architecture, building, and engineering so much is because I played with toys that you learn those skills in. I think that is true with many students because it makes you think. It can be considered a play toy if you aren't thinking outside the box but most of the time, I think everyone learns from it.
     As we get into high school, we have a lot more class options and career oriented classes. I accidently enjoyed Robotics and competed at Jefferson City State Competition in Skills USA in my 2012-2013 school year! My older brother did robotics and built them with Legos back when he was in college. Many of the geeks and tech people I talk with played with Legos and K'nex. So, as you can see, Legos and other build oriented toys are a big learning tool and can give you great thinking and engineering skills! There is some exciting stuff from Microsoft too with Windows 8.1 supporting robotics.


The video above shows you what's possible with Legos!

     It's not surprising to see Microsoft partnered with Lego education in the video featured below. Antoine Leblond, corporate vice president, Windows Program Management, demonstrates a new LEGO MINDSTORMS robot and Windows 8.1 app to inspire developers to imagine the possibilities on the platform.


Robotics and Windows 8.1

     I am excited to see this stuff in 8.1. One thing I hope Microsoft does is make the Robotics software run in Visual Studio! Check out the Legos Education stuff at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/features/2013/jul13/07-17lego.aspx. Happy coding :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google+